Rumours are circling that Instagram, the Facebook-owned app, is planning a separate e-commerce app for shopping.
Is it true? We don’t know, Instagram have kept their lips closed.
When’s the launch? No one knows.
Instagram has been a concrete platform for businesses to advertise their products and services, connect with their customers and implement marketing methods. The possibly-pending app could make it simpler for businesses to conduct a sale.
According to The Verge, the app will allow users to browse collections of goods from merchants whom they follow and buy they directly within the app. There are over 25 million active business profiles on Instagram, so the app would give brands a special spot to sell their products.
In 2016, Instagram began testing an exciting tool where businesses can tag products featured in their posts, and users can click on the tag to be directed to the business’s website to make a purchase. Last march, Instagram opened up the feature to more businesses that sell beauty products, apparel etc. From June users have been able to upload content to their Stories with a ‘swipe up’ link to a website.
So, Instagram have already expanded shopping functionality into their app … so it’s quite possible their next move is the rumoured shopping app.
A devoted shopping feature wouldn’t be Instagram’s first standalone app. They have their fingers in many pies, like the launch of IGTV, for longer videos, in June and the testing of Direct, a new messaging app.
Plenty of businesses already use Instagram to promote their products on Instagram, building an app for merchants seems like the logical next step of expansion.
Discover More About Instagram …
- – Introduction to Instagram for Business
- – The Styles of Instagram Ads
- – Making the Most of Instagram for Business
- – 6 Examples of Successful Instagram Business Accounts
- – Will Instagram Influencer Marketing Start to Decline?
- – Inside the Instagram Algorithm
- – Tips to Beat Instagram’s Algorithm
- – How to Build a Brand on Instagram
- – How to Get More Followers on Instagram
- – Instagram’s Latest Update – Music in Stories