Beginner’s Guide to Finding Your Audience on Social Media
For a business to make the most out of their social media marketing, they need to make sure they’re reaching the right audience and that they’re efforts are not going to waste.
But what social network is best for you? With so many to choose from, it is understandable why businesses are unsure how to reach their target audience on social media.
One of the first things to ask yourselves, “Who is your target customer?”
Not every customer will be perfect for your business. Some people will love your product, some will be repeat customers, some will think you’re ‘alright’ and some will never want to use your services again. An Avatar will help your business identify the specific audience you want to target.
We’ve already talked about how to identify your business avatar. Bring your imagination to life with avatar/s created by your brand. By ‘Avatar’ we mean your ideal client profile, your ideal customer.
Discover how to identify your own – Who is Your Business Avatar?
The Differences Between Social Media Channels
Are you 100% certain you’re investing time and money into the right social networks?
Take a look at the below popular social media channels and use your business avatar to uncover where your target audience are spending most of their time. We’ve put together a few statistics, from reliable sources, to help you further understand where your target audience are.
- – 83% of Women & 75% of Men Use Facebook
- – Age 25 to 34, at 29.7% of users, is the most common age demographic.
- – Average time spent per Facebook visit is 20 minutes.
- – 62% of Facebook users have some form of university education, while
- – 30% report high school as being the highest level of education reached.
Are Your Audience Likely to Be on Instagram?
- – 72% of teens use Instagram, every day
- – More than 200 million users visit a business profile at least once daily.
- – 59% of 18–29 year olds use Instagram whilst 33% of 30-49 year olds use it
- – On average, Instagram users spent 53 minutes per day
Are Your Audience Likely to Be on Twitter?
- – 24% of All Internet male users use Twitter, whereas 21% of All Internet Female users use Twitter
- – 37% of Twitter users are between the ages of 18 and 29, 25% users are 30-49 years old.
- – Roughly 46% of Twitter users are on the platform daily.
- – 80% of Twitter users accessing the platform on a mobile device, and 93% of video views are on mobile.
Are Your Audience Likely to Be on LinkedIn?
- – 61 million LinkedIn users are senior level influencers and 40 million are in decision-making positions.
- – There are 56% of male users and 44% female users on Linkedin.
- – There are 46m students and recent college graduates on LinkedIn
- – 40% of monthly active users use LinkedIn daily.
Social media marketing basically requires endless testing.
Based on what you know about your audience and what social platforms they spend their time on, test and analyse different strategies to see what engages them most.
You’ll find our other blog posts helpful:
- – How to Run a Successful Social Media Campaign
- – Would a Social Media Influencer Help Your Business?
- – 5 Tips to Run a Social Media Campaign
- – B2B and B2C Social Media Marketing: What’s the Difference?
- – Top 7 Social Media Tips
Why not check out our Digital Marketing Terms Glossary?
About the author:
Marie Harwood is a Digital Marketing Assistant at Different Gravy Digital, Hale, Cheshire.
Different Gravy Digital are a full service Digital Marketing Agency operating in the Hospitality & Leisure, Financial Services, Legal & Property sectors. Products and services range from; 3D & 360° Tours, Website Design & Build, Social Media, Video Production, Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), Content Creation, Email Marketing, Online Feedback / Review Systems and Paid Advertising (Google, Bing and Social Media).
0161 706 000
120a Ashley Road, Hale, Altrincham, Cheshire, WA14 2UN